Sunday, November 16, 2003

I Don't Want To Be That Enlightened

One of the requirements to being a full fledged leftist citizen of the world is the enlightened ability to see the United States as a selfish, corporato-imperialist monster that has spent the last 45 years trying to impose its will on innocent populations of other countries.

These enlightened leftists claim that they are able to look at this nation dispassionately and objectively.  These are the same people that wince at the thought of standing for the Pledge of Allegiance, with or without "under God".  In their eyes, national borders come and go, but the globe is forever.

They feel no familial loyalty to a nation they consider no better than any of one hundred other nations on the planet.  They consider their citizenship to be a mere accident of birth, and thus, see no emotional connection.

Does the emotional bond of patriotism permit one to look past some of our less than perfect moments?  Of course.  Most children consider their mother to be the prettiest woman in the world and capable of fixing every boo boo.  In the clear light of objectivity is it the truth?  Probably not.  But it doesn't matter, the emotional bond colors the vision.

I have an emotional bond to the United States of America.  I have no desire to tolerate nitpickers looking at every wrinkle and flaw she has.  The nitpickers claim to see clearly.  They claim to be enlightened.

In truth, they are moralizers, but only become morally indignant over the actions of one nation.  They claim to be dispassionate observers of the truth, but, in fact, are partisans of a dogma that seeks to tear down our national identity and demean our history.

I don't want to be that enlightened.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to be that enlightened.

Nor do I.

Leftist morals are way different than mine.

Anonymous said...

After reading your post, it reminded me of the
CODE OF CONDUCT
I
I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

VI
I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

http://www.usarc.army.mil/88thrsc/300_mp/785_mp/306_mi/cond

Anonymous said...

Leftists view America as "the big bad wolf" while the rest of the world are the "three little pigs." America - in selfish, imperialistic fashion - "huffs and puffs and blows the (international) house down." Unfortunately, NOTHING is going to change that perspective. It would be interesting to ask them the following:
What would the world be like today if there were NO United States of America?
I wonder what their "enlightened" answer would be.